Monday, November 16, 2009

Rome & First Class Seats Home

We arrived in Rome a little late due to a delay on the flight over. After a crazy bus ride through the city and being lost more than once we found our hotel. I was warned about pick pocketing and it made me paranoid! But we made it home with all our valuables. We were glad to find our hotel was pretty nice. It was large for Europe’s standards and Cody was thrilled it had a bidet. Sorry no pictures! Anyhow we went straight to the Colosseum and passed some “Old Stuff” along the way. We never found a bus map the whole time we were there! It was a city of chaos! But we managed to get everywhere we needed to go. I was really looking forward to some yummy Italian food so we went searching for some immediately. I found the best pasta that first night at an outdoor restaurant on the street by the Piazza Della Repubblica. It was my favorite- peppered pasta with some kind of yummy cheese! We also got some pizza outside the Colosseum later that night. Cody got some good photos of the outside of the Colosseum and we went back Sunday for the tour inside. Yay- we made it to Rome! Where's some italian food?



Incredible sights. The city sure wasn't much. Graffiti on all the buildings, everyone smoking, no personal space.. But the sights made it all worth it.


Cody loved the "Old Stuff" There were these creepy black cats everywhere they had excavated.


Saturday we headed to Vatican City. First we went to St. Peters Basilica- and you guessed it- we climbed to the top! I really lost 5lbs just from all the climbing and walking we did! It is so much to take in. From the cupola you could see all of Vatican City, the guards in their funny uniforms, the gardens, the walls, the square, fountains, etc. and the city of Rome. Then we toured the Musei Vaticano to get a peak at the Sistine Chapel and lots of other paintings, hallways, and chapels. It was all overwhelming! So much to take in- famous art and ancient buildings, etc.


Vatican Square. More views of the city from the top of St. Peters.


Cody ready for Confession.

Views from the other side- I am surprised my face isn't red from all the stairs! You climb up the side of the dome so it is awkward but pretty cool.

The Laocoon- one of the many famous sculptures.


The Sistine Chapel. Illegal photo- I didn't do it! j/k I did!


Sunday we headed back to the Colosseum for the tour and to learn about all that happened there. Cody was in heaven. We ended up eating lunch nearby. We had been warned that the Romans would try anything to rip us off and here we have it- a glass bottle of water (appearing to be mineral water) that was filled with tap water- warm and nasty. They tried to charge us 6 Euros!!! What jerks! We fought and they threatened to call the police but compromised at a much lower price. We were both amazed!

Inside the Colosseum

We walked around the upper and lower levels to "explore."


Then to the Pantheon. On the way back we stopped at the Piazza de Spagna to see the Spanish steps and the Fontina di Trevi for some Nutella gelato. Heaven sent! We finished the night off with dinner in Trasteverde, quite popular at night. We ate some good food and headed back.


The Pantheon. I tried to find someone to take a pic of us forever- nobody looked nice enough so I had to settle with this.


The Pantheon from the inside. The floor was wet from the rain! Somebody wasn't thinking when they designed the hole in the roof!

Yummy Gelato!!


Everyone took pics of this car- we weren't sure why- but we got one too! We ate right off the road there.

Cody with a real bottle of water- our joke from when they tried to rip us off earlier in the day.


The greatest delight came the next morning as we were preparing to board our 9 hour flight to JFK. We had gotten up early to ride the bus to the termini with all our luggage, then board the train to the airport. It was such a pain to get anywhere but I especially hated hauling luggage around! It had been a long morning and we were preparing for the worst as we headed for the plane. Our names were called at the gate and we were informed we had been upgraded to FIRST CLASS!! DREAM COME TRUE!! Thanks to Cody and his sky miles. I don't know how we both got upgraded but I wasn't about to ask. It was the most heavenly flight I have ever been on my whole life. Seriously I have never been treated so well!! I think the best food I ate in Italy was on that plane! We had a 5 course Italian dinner! Ice in all the drinks and fresh fruit which was hard to come by the previous 10 days! We watched movies, laid our chairs back into beds to nap, and lived it up! Then at the JFK airport we were able to go into the Sky lounge for international travelers :o) Free food/drinks, Internet, showers, business rooms, etc. It was the perfect way to make the 24-hour trip home!

My snack, only a few hours after the 5 course meal.

Cody smiling as he slept. The chairs reclined all the way! I have never been so spoiled in my life.


I couldn't imagine anything better than spending 10 days in Europe with your best friend, your soul mate, the 1 person that can bring you more joy than you ever knew. We always have so much fun together and this trip was no exception. I love you Cody. I loved spending 10 days straight with you and only you. Thanks for letting me follow my dreams, and for coming along for the ride. This trip something I have wanted to do forever and I will treasure the memory always. Hopefully we can continue to travel together our whole lives through. Love you Babe!

5 comments:

Charlotte and Jared Nelson said...

Wow! Looks like so much fun! I'm hoping one of these days, Jared and I will make it over there! Love the pictures!

Julie Sacks said...

That looks amazing! I love the illegal picture too! Can't wait to see you soon!

Kristin said...

So fun Nat! You make me want to go back. I laughed out loud at your picture of the Sistine Chapel - we have a video of Nate attempting to shoot it and the guards yelling "No Pictures!" Its a classic.

~Tara said...

I'm so jealous! I want to go to Rome so bad!! I'm so glad you guys got to go!! And, I loved the part at the end!! You guys are the cutest couple EVER!! Let's hang out soon!! :)

Daniel & Shandi said...

That looks like so much fun! I can't wait to go there next fall. I love all your pictures! So cute! ....I love your blog. It looks like you've done a lot of fun things.

email me so I can send you an invite to my blog. shandirae14@hotmail.com

Thanks for coming to visit! =0)

Total Pageviews