Saturday, May 15, 2010

Celebrating Mothers Day!

   This year Mothers Day was a little different. I got to spend Mothers Day with my Mom and my Grandma Hinckley. Naturally I started planning a breakfast and dinner for my Mom, but then I realized this year I got to take the day off! I was spoiled by Cody and my Bro and Dad as they made a wonderful french toast breakfast (my fav) and a yummy BBQ dinner. I also got the best Florences chocolates from church. Then we all got together and took 4 generation picture(see below).
    I have been thinking a lot about being a Mom this last week and what it has taught me already. Everyone has a different experience but I know I have been taught some great lessons already. Not just about changing diapers, preventing rashes, etc. But my trials have already turned into the greatest blessings I could ever imagine. When I was only 18 weeks pregnant we found out about Londyn's cleft lip. From the statistics they told us to plan on her having a cleft palate as well and the specialist believed he saw one on the ultrasound (ba ha- another lesson learned- don't believe everything they tell you). We were shocked by the news as well as the thought of the baby having something "different" about the way she looked and possibly talked, etc. I really thought it was tragic. I know it is natural to panic when they tell you anything is wrong and panic I did. I kept saying "why couldn't she be a boy because boys love scars." I spent hours doing reaseach, finding causes and had to convince myself it was nothing I did wrong. I was distraught. It was a hard time as Cody was traveling for work and I kept feeling pity for myself. As with most trials, I have never prayed so much in my life. All that praying made Londyn come to life for us. She wasn't just a fetus growing inside me anymore. She was real, she was my daughter, mine to protect and love.
   My prayers were answered and I know I had heavenly help getting through long days at work in between the ultrasound when we were told there could be very serious heart problems and a possible cleft lip/palate and the appointment with the specialist that confirmed the lip- but also revealed a perfect heart.
    The day of her birth it was a true miracle to find she had no cleft palate. In all my research I could only dream that that would be the case. It is a major difference. Since then I have learned to appreciate her cute little cleft. It is not only a part of her, it makes her who she is, and I know this is crazy but it is going to be just as hard to have it fixed as it was to find out about it. I know Londyn is a special baby. She will be a strong little girl. I believe she was sent here to help someone, maybe You and/or I, maybe we need to be more kind, more accepting, more loving. I am not sure if I will ever know.
    Thanks for all your prayers and your support. We will need them! Her surgery is June 8th and will only last ~1-1/2 hrs. We are nervous to let her go and it will probably be the longest hours of our lives! Londyn is strong and she will do great. But for now- we are loving her just the way she is, truly perfect in every way.




6 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Nat. Your post made me cry. Thanks for sharing some of those more personal feelings you've been having over the past while--they help my testimony grow. You three are truly amazing and we love you so much!!

We are Jared, Amy and Spencer. said...

Natalie, thanks for your post. You have a beautiful little girls and a lovely family. The 4 generation picture is so neat. Londyn will be in our prayers, hope all goes well! Take Care!

Julie Sacks said...

I see those pics of Londyn and it just makes me want to be a photographer! I am glad you have taken this whole experience for the better and learned so much along the way. I'm so glad you have Cody too, he is such a great supporter of everything that involves you and the baby! We love yall to pieces!!!

sarinah♥ said...

Oh,Natalie! I truly needed to read your post today.Thank you so much for allowing me to feel what you are feeling. What an amazing little girl you have. Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways, doesnt he!!! Miss ya!

Littleshortstacks said...

Londyn is absolutely perfect. And as your post vividly demonstrates, you are the perfect mother for her. I marvel at your strength, courage and ability to rely on the Lord. The Kartchners are an amazing little family.

We are looking forward to being with you again. June 15th is move in day!

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's been fun to watch you and Cody grow into parenthood. You are doing such a great job. Londyn is a blessed little girl. We love you all.

Total Pageviews