Joie Brooklyn
Kartchner
1/19/13-2/2/13- She would be 5 months old today. We miss and
love her dearly.
When Joie was in the
DNCC in January, A friend sent me this talk. It brought me comfort to know we
weren’t alone in our trials. She is gone now and I still have the comfort I
needed then and need every day. I wanted to give you all something as a parent
who has been there- and these were the words that came to mind. You are not
alone. May God bless you and your families with an abundance of peace, love and
healing. Love, Cody and Natalie Kartchner
“I have noted that
children are often more naturally accepting of pain and suffering. They quietly
endure with humility and meekness. I have felt a beautiful, sweet spirit
surrounding these little ones.
Thirteen-year-old
Sherrie underwent a 14-hour operation for a tumor on her spinal cord. As she
regained consciousness in the intensive care unit, she said: “Daddy, Aunt
Cheryl is here, … and … Grandpa Norman … and Grandma Brown … are here. And
Daddy, who is that standing beside you? … He looks like you, only taller. … He
says he’s your brother, Jimmy.” Her uncle Jimmy had died at age 13 of cystic
fibrosis.
“For nearly an hour,
Sherrie … described her visitors, all deceased family members. Exhausted,
she then fell asleep.”
Later she told her
father, “Daddy, all of the children here in the intensive care unit have angels
helping them.”20
To all of us the
Savior said:
“Behold, ye are
little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in
the knowledge of the truth.
“Fear not, little
children, for you are mine. …
“Wherefore, I am in
your midst, and I am the good shepherd.”21
Our great personal
challenge in mortality is to become “a saint through the atonement of Christ.”22 The
pain you and I experience may be where this process is most measured. In
extremity, we can become as children in our hearts, humble ourselves, and “pray
and work and wait”23 patiently
for the healing of our bodies and our souls. As Job, after being refined
through our trials, we “shall come forth as gold.”24
20. See
Michael R. Morris, “Sherrie’s Shield of Faith,” Ensign, June 1995, 46.
22. Mosiah 3:19.
23. Henry B. Eyring, Liahona and Ensign, May
2009, 24.
24. Job 23:10.
From the talk “The Atonement Covers All Pain”
by Kent Richards Surgeon and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints. Full text can be found at lds.org
I remember reading this in our small isolation room and crying. I was given a hug of comfort. I felt the presence of angels. Family members. Aunt Pam, Grandpa Hinckley and Grandpa Muir, Chris, Grandpa Kartchner, Uncle John. So thankful for that comfort that day and the presence I feel almost daily now.
I remember reading this in our small isolation room and crying. I was given a hug of comfort. I felt the presence of angels. Family members. Aunt Pam, Grandpa Hinckley and Grandpa Muir, Chris, Grandpa Kartchner, Uncle John. So thankful for that comfort that day and the presence I feel almost daily now.
2 comments:
As angels are surrounding you, bearing you up, so are you also becoming an angel for family members and friends who will have to travel through difficult times. Your faith, empathy, and compassion will bless many throughout your life--I am sure of it. I'm grateful to learn from your example, Natalie.
Your mountain of faith is so inspiring Natalie. You are amazing and I'm so glad you have found so much comfort and peace.
Post a Comment