
So I (Natalie) had the most exciting night! I was even at work!! Hard to believe I know... I wasn't working at Costco I was Job Shadowing my friend John who is an ICU pharmacist at the new hospital IHC in Murray, UT. It is amazing, probably one of the most hi-tech hospitals out there. It just opened in October and this was my first time going inside. So anyways, John is a good guy- he works at Costco on the side, but he works 7 days straight- 10 hour shifts then he gets 7 days off. He doesn't just fill prescriptions though- he is there in the ICU when patients arrive ordering drugs and interviewing family about the patients med history. It was intriguing to see him in action. Pharmacy has progressed over the years to where the pharmacist can change a patients meds in many cases without the doctor. We worked in the 15-story tower and the patients rooms have incredible mountain views. There is a cafeteria bigger than the Cougar-Eat at BYU with some really good food and tables outside for the summertime. The patients all have flat screen TV's and surround sound! I loved working with the patients, even the nurses (typically pharmacists and nurses don't get along- but everything was peaceful :o)) And although I have a history of fainting at the sight of blood and/or needles, the only thing that made me sick was the high speed elevator-we went from floor 4 to 11 back to 5 then 1...blah. I got to send drugs/orders to the central pharmacy in a bank tube, saw a guy naked and a few people who were close and even got to contribute my drug knowledge a time or two~ I now have new goals for my career and my life, and I am now considering a residency the year after I graduate!
3 comments:
What a great experience! That's wonderful that you enjoy your work so much. Love your new coat too. Look forward to chatting sometime soon with you...
That is so cool! I love when you find out another area of interest in your field to consider. Very fun!
Wow Natalie! That sounds like a crazy time! I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much and have a new goal to work toward--one that you know will be rewarding. Let us know about other experiences you have there if you get to go back! (I like how you included the naked guy--you're funny ;-P )
Post a Comment