We ran away again the last few weeks but this time a little further than usual— to Europe. I have always wanted to experience the backpacking through Europe kind of adventure and now that I am done with school we finally made it happen! I found a really good deal so that helped :o) We visited London, Paris, and Rome. It is fun to travel with Cody as there are many perks for being a frequent flyer (such as an upgrade to first class on a 9 hr international flight—made my life!—or spending our layover in the Sky Lounge with free food/drinks/etc). We enjoyed this trip together and we always laugh as everyone thinks we are on our honeymoon. It was quite the treat, who ever said you only get 1 honeymoon?
First stop- London. We had to adjust to quite a time change and it took a few days to get used to completely. We arrived at 7am Saturday morning and headed out to see the sights. Our first stop: Big Ben. We thought it would be a little bigger… We rode the London Eye Ferris Wheel for a good view of the city. It never stops so you walk on inside this glass capsule with a 360° view which takes about a ½ hr to go all the way around. We then walked through the east side of the city and took a tour of Westminster Abbey. Then an art museum and some snacks in Trafalgar square by a huge fountain. We had dinner that night at the original Hard Rock CafĂ©. It was fun; we were struggling to stay awake at that point so we headed back home early, but stopped for some ice cream on the way.
First stop- London. We had to adjust to quite a time change and it took a few days to get used to completely. We arrived at 7am Saturday morning and headed out to see the sights. Our first stop: Big Ben. We thought it would be a little bigger… We rode the London Eye Ferris Wheel for a good view of the city. It never stops so you walk on inside this glass capsule with a 360° view which takes about a ½ hr to go all the way around. We then walked through the east side of the city and took a tour of Westminster Abbey. Then an art museum and some snacks in Trafalgar square by a huge fountain. We had dinner that night at the original Hard Rock CafĂ©. It was fun; we were struggling to stay awake at that point so we headed back home early, but stopped for some ice cream on the way.
The London Eye
<--Inside one of the capsules of the London Eye
Westminster Abbey
Sunday morning we decided to find a church we could go to. We rode the subway and found the headquarters for the LDS church in Britain where meetings were being held. The building is a lot like the one in NYC. After we strolled through Hyde park, London’s “Central Park.” There was a ½ Marathon going on. There are huge monuments all over including inside the park that appear to be lost. We went to Buckingham palace to watch the guard change ceremony then back to Harrods- the coolest dept store ever! They sale everything! Food- like a grocery store, TV’s, kitchen appliances, you wouldn’t believe it! One stop shopping~ forget Wal-Mart!
<--- The LDS church in the city of London.
Hyde park-made for a nice Sunday stroll
Tower of London people
Tower of London- walking along the walls. We asked a guy to take our picture in front of the bridge on the water, he somehow cut the bridge out of the picture! We did get someone else to take this birdseye shot through the trees.
Tower Bridge
The London Eye- We loved our little bike tour
Cody rode his bike on the street structures with a big smile on his face.----->
St. Pauls Cathedral
London from the top of St. Pauls. Some 500 stairs to the top.. Pretty views made it worth it.
Shakespeares Globe Theater. Our tour here was amazing.
Finally, the perfect way to leave London. Wicked was amazing!!
Our hotel was an Express by Holiday Inn. We really got a steal of a deal on our package (air+hotels) so we were worried about what the hotels would be like. They were fine, but different. All they have are double beds at the hotel but at least we got our own bathroom. We thought their free breakfast was limited but soon found it was the best of all the hotels we stayed in (they had a toaster and frosted flakes). The public transportation in London was my favorite. They have a great underground system and they are easy to use and easy to find on the streets. Overall, I loved London!
Hyde park-made for a nice Sunday stroll
Monday was our final day in London. We had so much to see still. We started at the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge. We saw the “Crown Jewels” and some huge diamonds/gems and learned all about King Henry VIII. We walked down past the London Bridge to St. Paul’s Cathedral. We climbed to the top of the dome and looked out over the city again. We toured Shakespeare’s Globe before hitting a yummy place for a fancy pizza dinner (for real-the best pizza I have ever had). And finally, we took a bicycle tour along Thames river—SO FUN!— Sounds like a day- but the best part comes next. We got to see WICKED!! I was so excited for this I couldn’t wait. It was amazing too- everything I heard it would be. We both loved it! It is a must see! I love the music and I have been singing the songs ever since!
Tower of London- walking along the walls. We asked a guy to take our picture in front of the bridge on the water, he somehow cut the bridge out of the picture! We did get someone else to take this birdseye shot through the trees.
The London Eye- We loved our little bike tour
London from the top of St. Pauls. Some 500 stairs to the top.. Pretty views made it worth it.Our hotel was an Express by Holiday Inn. We really got a steal of a deal on our package (air+hotels) so we were worried about what the hotels would be like. They were fine, but different. All they have are double beds at the hotel but at least we got our own bathroom. We thought their free breakfast was limited but soon found it was the best of all the hotels we stayed in (they had a toaster and frosted flakes). The public transportation in London was my favorite. They have a great underground system and they are easy to use and easy to find on the streets. Overall, I loved London!
edit.jpg)
9 comments:
Wow!! Sounds like an amazing time! I love (and am somewhat jealous) that you guys travel so much! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your vacation!
How incredibly fun!
Oh, I'm so glad you posted!!! I have been wondering and waiting to hear all about your trip!!! I can't wait to hear about the other cities!!! P.S. I love your red/orange sweater you got with me!!! It looks super cute on you!!!:)
When you rode on on the trains, didn't you love hearing the lady's voice saying, "mind the gap" when the train came! As I was reading your post I soon remembered all the places I went to when I was in London. Didn't you love the crown jewels, so amazing huh?! And I totally loved the cathedral! I am so excited that yall got to see so much in such a short time!
I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! You look amazing in every one of your pictures - is that really fair??? I absolutely love how adventurous you two are! You have got to have some amazing memories together! What a cute couple you are!
yaaay for pictures!! I'm so glad you had a great time and also glad you are home safe :) Can't wait to see you guys.
So glad to hear you are back and had a great time! I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!
Always cool to see your blog, one day in Moab and the other in LONDON!! Looks really fun.
Always cool to see your blog, one day in Moab and the other in LONDON!! Looks really fun.
Post a Comment