After getting out of speaking the last 5 yrs I got caught. You could say I had a very
unlucky week (a talk and a ticket!) And I usually don't post talks (well I
usually don't talk) but I wanted to share it since my family doesn't get
to hear me speak. Well they don't hear much at all from me now. And it is important that I journal the important
things in life, like my testimony and my feelings about the Savior.
And some Sunday pics. Cody loved my high heels. L had a good nap- can you tell?
Short Intro. My husband Cody introduced us
when he spoke. So I chose things you might not know about us. Cody is from
Snowflake, AZ. He is an entrepreneur and has started several of his own
companies, doing anything from construction to computer software. Almost done
with his 1st year of Law School. Family of 5 boys. Loves Football but
has a shoulder injury, go easy on him in the next turkey bowl.
I am from Kent, WA. Pharmacist. Come say hi to
me at Target in Keizer. Look busy but it really brightens my day and I have
suckers for your kids if you need to keep them busy while you shop. I have all
the goods! 2 of my toes are webbed, so I belong in the NW.
In our time together (met almost 8 years ago-
married 7) we have earned a pharmacy technician certification, real estate
license, private pilot’s license, 2 BYU bachelor’s degrees, 1 doctorate,
working on the 2nd. Traveled
to all the major Hawaiian Islands, babymoon to Europe & scuba certified-
dove with sharks. We have also ran a ½ marathon, full and ragnar relay
together.
Greatest accomp so far-Londyn. She is the
Light of our lives. She is well traveled and has been to DC, Lake Tahoe, Big
Bear, CA, Seattle, Bryce & Zions Nat’l Parks, Las Vegas and San Fran. Most
the time upgraded to first class. Not bad
for not even 2.
She was born with a cleft lip and had it
repaired when she was only 2 mo. Old.
Bro Jacobsen asked me to speak on Virtue as a
Christlike attribute. I pray the spirit can guide my thoughts and yours to
teach us more about living a virtuous life.
I have served in the Young Womens Organization
the last 2 years before moving here. In this time they added a new value
to the Personal Progress Program. When they announced this Sister Elaine S.
Dalton challenged the YW to “Return to virtue” I want the Young Women to think,
what is virtue?
Preach my Gospel States defines it perfectly. “Virtue
originates in your innermost thoughts and desires. It is a pattern of
thought and behavior based on high moral standards. Since the Holy Ghost
does not dwell in unclean tabernacles, virtue is prerequisite to receiving the
Spirits guidance. What you choose to think and do when you are alone and you
believe no one is watching is a strong measure of your virtue.”
I had an experience this week that illustrates
this all too well. Friday night I got
home from work to find a letter from the Salem PD. There was a pic of myself (4
actually) at the intersection of Marion and Commercial. Apparently I was the
driver of a blue mazda that ran a red light. I guess it was one of those times
when I was alone and I didn’t think anyone was watching. I was caught red
handed, and there is a video online to prove it. My soon to be lawyer husband
couldn’t wait to view it. I was ashamed and didn’t want him to see it. I wanted
to watch it first and see how bad it was. But upon viewing the captured images
he judged very quickly that I was guilty as charged. There was no contesting
it. I ran a red light.
I realize by telling you this
experience you probably made a mental note to pull off the road whenever you
see me or bro Jacobsen coming (last week he made a comment about how some
fellow ward member had to pull off the road due to his bad driving) but I have a point.
This experience reminded me of a theory my Dad
shared with me in my teen years that always stuck with me. He said that when we
die and go to heaven we walk to the front of the crowd in heaven and put a
video tape in. The story of our lives plays, our thoughts, our actions, our
words. It plays for everyone we know and love to see and hear. Our best moments
and our worst. Then we are judged according to the evidence against us. I
remember this story has always stayed with me. I always feared playing my movie.
As a youth I made choices and I remembered that even though I was alone and no
one (my parents) were watching I was accountable for the choices I was making.
I wish
it was just a theory but in my scripture study this week I came across this
line in Alma 11:43- brought to stand
before God and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.
How do we return to virtue?
Sister Dalton YW General President “Virtue is
a prerequisite to entering the Lord’s holy temples and to receiving the
Spirit’s guidance. Virtue “is a pattern of thought and behavior based on high
moral standards.”6
It encompasses chastity and moral purity. Virtue begins in the heart and in the
mind. It is nurtured in the home. It is the accumulation of thousands of small
decisions and actions. Virtue is a word we don’t hear often in today’s
society, but the Latin root word virtus means strength. Virtuous women and men possess
a quiet dignity and inner strength. They are confident because they are worthy
to receive and be guided by the Holy Ghost.
We can learn from the example of our brother,
Jesus Christ. Read Page 115.
Read Paragraph
2 and 3 in Preach My Gospel.
As I have searched and studied the Virtue. I
have found that Counsel to Youth, Men & Women all different!! Makes sense
because our lives are so different and we are given counsel specific to our
divine roles.
Youth- 10 yr HS reunion this year. Hard to live the
Standards we live by. Guarantee it has only gotten worse. Nearing the 2nd
coming.
Once you know who you are you won’t have a
hard time doing what you must do to return to live with him. Temple as your
goal and put yourself on the path of virtue to get there.
Family History. Spiritual Pedigree Chart. Us-[
Heavenly Parents.
The First Presidency has said: “To the
youth … , we plead with you to live clean [lives], for the unclean
life leads only to suffering, misery, and woe physically,—and spiritually it is
the path to destruction. How glorious and near to the angels is youth that is
clean; this youth has joy unspeakable here and eternal happiness hereafter. Purity is youth’s most precious possession; it is
the foundation of all righteousness.”
Women-
The Lord told Emma Smith, to be faithful and
to “walk in the paths of virtue before me” (D&C 25:2).
The Lord’s advice to Emma Smith is also His advice to all His precious
daughters. You are not common. You are not ordinary. You are daughters of God.
You carry within yourselves the sacred power to create life. It is one of God’s
greatest gifts to His precious daughters, and you must safeguard that power by
living the standards and remaining virtuous. You must safeguard your power
through purity of thought and action. By so doing, you, your family,
and the generations that follow will be strengthened and blessed.
The Joy of Womanhood Margaret D. Nadauld
Our outward
appearance is a reflection of what we are on the inside. Our lives reflect that
for which we seek. And if with all our hearts we truly seek to know the Savior
and to be more like Him, we shall be, for He is our divine, eternal Brother.
But He is more than that. He is our precious Savior, our dear Redeemer. We ask
with Alma of old, “Have ye received his image in your countenances?” (Alma 5:14).
Grateful
daughters of God guard their bodies carefully, for they know they are the
wellspring of life and they reverence life. They don’t uncover their bodies to
find favor with the world. They walk in modesty to be in favor with their Father
in Heaven. For they know He loves them dearly.
Now is the time for us to join in rescuing and
preserving that which is “virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.”
As we allow virtue to garnish our thoughts unceasingly and we cultivate virtuous
traits in our personal lives, our communities and institutions will be
improved, our children and families will be strengthened, and faith and
integrity will bless individual lives. H David Burton. Nov 2009
Christlike. Perfect example from our Brother
and Savior.
Men-
How are men virtuous? Treat women and
honor P
Pat. Blessing story. My pat blessing says I
would be privileged to enter the temple to be married and that I would “recognize
my husband by his dedication to priesthood responsibilities and by his desire to
protect and honor my virtues.”
Knew Cody was the one because he would do
small things to honor my virtue. (ie. pull down my shirt when it came up, always
respected me)
President Ezra Taft Benson 1986 Godly
Characteristics of the Master.
To be like the
Savior—what a challenge for any person! He is a member of the Godhead. He is
the Savior and Redeemer. He was perfect in every aspect of His life. There was
no flaw nor failing in Him. Is it possible for us as priesthood holders to be
even as He is? The answer is yes. Not only can we, but that is our charge, our
responsibility. He would not give us that commandment if He did not mean for us
to do it.
The Apostle Peter
spoke of the process by which a person can be made a partaker “of the divine
nature” (2 Pet. 1:4). This is important, for if we truly
become partakers of the divine nature, we shall become like Him. Let us examine
closely what Peter teaches us about this process. Here is what he said:
“And beside this,
giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
Peter [says we]
must add to our faith virtue. A priesthood holder is virtuous. Virtuous
behavior implies that he has pure thoughts and clean actions. He will not lust
in his heart, for to do so is to “deny the faith” and to lose the Spirit (D&C 42:23)—and there is
nothing more important in this work than the Spirit. You’ve heard me say that
many times.
This means that a
young man will honor young women and treat them with respect. He would never do
anything that would deprive them of that which, in Mormon’s words, is “most
dear and precious above all things, which is chastity and virtue” (Moro. 9:9).
Virtue is akin to
holiness, an attribute of godliness. A priesthood holder should actively seek
for that which is virtuous and lovely and not that which is debasing or sordid.
Remember, it is the cleansing power of the
Atonement that makes it possible for us to be virtuous. We all make mistakes,
but “because the Savior loves you and has given His life for you, you can
repent. Repentance is an act of faith in Jesus Christ.
… The Savior’s atoning sacrifice has made it possible for you to be forgiven of
your sins. … Determine to partake worthily of the sacrament each week and fill
your life with virtuous activities that will bring spiritual power. As you do
this, you will grow stronger in your ability to resist temptation, keep the
commandments [remain clean], and become more like Jesus Christ”
(Young Women Personal Progress [insert, 2009], 3).
When it comes to my ticket I am guilty as
charged. I get to pay a hefty fine and suffer the consequences. And I am hoping
to spare you all from doing the same J
Remember Marion street and commercial!
However, when we play the movie of our life
when we get to heaven and we are judged, we have Christ’s atoning sacrifice to
edit our movie. Christ has paid the fine for us. He atoned for our sins. He has
given US the power to erase the sin. ERASE the evidence against us!! We have to
do some work and pray for forgiveness and strength to overcome our weaknesses
and temptations. But if we truly repent we can celebrate the release of our
movie, knowing that we lived a virtuous life.
Pres. Hinckley. How beautiful is the life that
is patterned after the teachings of the gospel of Him who was without sin. Such
a man walks with unblemished brow in the sunlight of virtue and strength.
Virtue Pres Hinckley I left this out cuz I was over time but it is good so I am saving it here.
“There is no
substitute for virtue. Keep your thoughts virtuous. Rise above the filth that’s
all around you in this world and stand tall in strength and virtue. You can do
this, and you will be happier for it for as long as you live. God bless you in
cherishing, developing, and holding on to this great gift, the quality of
personal virtue.” 6
Testify Virtue= Holy Ghost & Temple. Greatest
blessings as members of his church. SO thankful the Savior made it possible for us to clean the tape. The church is true!
Oh and what I didn't tell the whole church- the pic of my running the red light also shows that I am talking on my cell phone, which is totally illegal in OR! But I was driving Cody's car and had no bluetooth! Oh and the fine = $260!! Just for the red light, they didn't charge me for the phone.


1 comment:
Sorry about your ticket...but great talk! Wish so much we could have been there to listen and see your pretty outfit in person :) Your dad's analogy of the tape is a powerful one--I'll have to use that with my YW!
Post a Comment