Thursday, April 8, 2010

Londyn's "Birth" Day

The Birth Story
So I thought it was kind of fun to hear other people's labor story so here goes. I went for my 38 wk checkup on wed and they told me my blood pressure was high- Which was crazy because I have always had LOW low blood pressure. But apparently having protein in your urine is very bad so they were watching me pretty good. So Thursday I went to work and after a few hours decided to check my blood pressure. I was instructed to go home if it got higher than 150 systolic. It was constantly over that the 3-4x I checked. I called my doctors office and was told I needed to go to L&D. I left work and went home to pack just in case they had to induce me. When we went to the hospital they were waiting for us. The doctor didn't take long to decide that I was being induced. I guess the protein in my urine went from 500 to 5000 overnight!
So at 2pm they started the epidural, pitocin and my worst nightmare, magnesium! The mag is to prevent seizures from having such high blood pressure. The epidural was supposed to help drop my bp so they started it right away, but by 1-2am it was not very effective. At 7am I was told I was a 9+ and almost ready to push... next time they checked they realized that was wrong and I was only a 7+. Oops! Good thing I really liked my nurse already or I would have been mad. So the mag is also a smooth muscle relaxant and totally stopped my contractions not long after that. So finally about 9:30am I was ready to push and baby Londyn was born at 9:59am.
6 lbs 11 oz of total cuteness

Cody was awesome the whole time and the nurse was great. Her name was Pam and she was excited when we told her we were naming our baby after her! Her grandson is expected to have a bilateral cleft lip and palate when he is born in a month so she was very well educated about the cleft and was the first to get a good look at Londyn and tell us she only had a cleft lip, no palate.
Cody was excited to announce she had webbed toes like her Mom! Although there are some things I would rather forget about the 20 hrs of labor, there is no better feeling in the world than holding your newborn after anticipating her arrival for so long.



There I am- I hate all these pictures! But Cody says this pic is proof of all the hard work and if I looked good all my friends would hate me.

1 comment:

Julie Sacks said...

So true, I would hate you if you looked great after labor. That last pic of you and londyn makes me tear right up!

Total Pageviews