Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Story of My Faith

I have never been this bad a blogging. EVER. It hasn't been a priority and life has been a whirlwind. I feel strongly that I need to share some of the feelings I am having. I am tempted to do this privately but I feel as though I need to do it publicly. I will attempt to share some of my innermost thoughts and feelings on the condition that you all set aside all judgement. I am in a situation where I am just existing, doing my best and trying to stay above the clouds. Thanks. 

The reason I called this the story of my faith is becuase it seems that is the struggle I will have this year. I have always thought that I been very faithful in my life but faith isn't true faith until it is tested. I love this quote my good friend sent me awhile back. It is a quote from the April 2011 ensign, "When someone has an ailment or an illness and they are healed as the result of a blessing, their faith is being strengthened. But for those who aren't healed but continue faithful, their faith is being perfected. The first is a faith-promoting experience. The second is faith-perfecting." 

I was reading my scriptures this week in Alma. I have read about the 2,000 stripling warriors in the Book of Mormon. God miraculously protected them from their enemies, becuase of their faith, becuase of their Mother's faith. I couldn't help but think- Was my faith not strong enough? Why didn't God heal and protect Joie? Why did he take her but protect them? It is heart breaking but real. I don't ask it out of self pity or doubt, but sincere desire to understand. I know he could have. But why didn't he? Well of course the answer came to me. God protected the Nephites when they were faithful because that was His plan. He needed them to bring us the scriptures, and teach us lessons. He needed them to be there when Jesus was resurrected so he could visit them and prophesies would be fulfilled. 

Heavenly Father took Joie becuase that was his plan. His inifinite, amazing plan, that is more beautiful than our human minds can comprehend. Even through my selfish desire as a Mother to hold that sweet baby girl I can feel the peace and comfort of the gospel. I know that "All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.”6 Preach my gospel.I am very blessed to have the greatest Sunday School Teacher who ever lived, and to call her my friend. She has truly blessed my life. On Sunday she talked about how we all need a reservoir of Faith. Not just a little. A big reservoir. A faith supply. We need every ounce of faith we can get in a storage for later use. The time will come when we will need that faith to sustain us. The prophets have taught us what we need to do to return to live with God and with our families. It requires a lot of work. It isn't easy to do all the small things and keep the commandments. I have come to realize that during the hard times in life we rely on what we have built during the other times. The more faith we have the more likely we are to survive the hard times. I know now that my faith is built on a rock. It is strong. Strong enough to endure this year and to endure to the end. That sweet day when I am reunited with the baby I long to hold.

3 comments:

Julie Sacks said...

No judgement from me for sure! I LOVE this post and I love you! The talk from Elder Holland from the last conference on faith, so amazing! I'm sure you know which one I am talking about. I feel the spirit crazy strong every time I read it.
PS Welcome back to the blogging world :)

Kathy said...

I haven't looked at your blog for weeks cuz I knew you weren't doing much with it for now. Your question of faith took me back when I had asked myself the same question. I knew the Lord could have healed Chris if he had wanted to and I just didn't understand. I love it that you came to your own answer. You are very strong and faithful and I hope it has helped you. I was guided to a scripture that gave me peace so I could accept and know it wasn't because my faith lacked (which at the time I know it did anyway). D&C 42:48: "And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed." The key being "is not appointed unto death". This helped me understand that HF needed Chris with him. I know that you know that it wasn't meant for Joie to be on earth. Heavenly Father has a greater work for her to do with him. She is so perfect she doesn't need the trials of earth life. Even though you know this, it's still hard to live each day without her. She is waiting for you and will help you get back to her. She wants you to be happy. She loves you with a perfect love and can't wait to be in your arms again. I feel your pain and wish I could take it from you. It will ease with time but you will never forget your baby. I love you.

Allison said...

You are candid, honest, and wonderful, Natalie, and I appreciate your willingness to share these deeper thoughts and feelings, because they have strengthened my faith. Love you!

Total Pageviews