Saturday, June 21, 2008

Runners High

25 hours 24 minutes- That is how long it took our team of 12 people to run the Wasatch Back Relay from Logan to Park City, UT ~approximately 180 miles! A team from our ward was short a couple and somehow Cody and I got to take their places! We started Friday at 12:40pm, we each ran 3 legs, switching between 2 vans full of runners. We met some awesome runners and they are a great inspiration to us!

I ran last night at 5:30pm (it was almost 90 degrees!) from Liberty to Eden, at 12:30 am around East Canyon Reservoir (this one had a tough hill but it was fun to run at night) and this morning from Heber to Midway. It was sad to run alone- I missed Cody and Buster! My legs were only 4 mi each but that last one seemed so long!

Cody ran just after me. He got lucky and got to run the hill from Midway to Park City before the leg they call the Ragnar (Charles, a fellow teammate got that one). Both their legs increased 1,500 ft in 3-4 miles! It was hot, dusty and a painful experience to even watch. Cody did amazing and while others were walking Cody ran most of the way.
After running our 1st leg

Our Team name was Sexybacks-from Justin Timberlake's song "Bringing Sexy back" We got team shirts made that said "Party in the Front" "Sexy in the Back."
One of the couples went all out and she wore these shorts with a fake butt on the outside and an apron with a nice hawaiian body on the front. Her husband ran in his whitey tighties and a cape! This is the exchange before Cody's hill- Jen is the one with the Butt shorts- she was probably the fastest runner running 1
mile at 5:31- but what you would never know is that she is 4 1/2 months pregnant! At the exchanges we would pass a slap bracelet you can see in this picture.
After sleeping very little and eating sporatic throughout the night we were so excited to be done! After we finished! YAY it's over! We all ran across the finish line together. Team pics to come...

4 comments:

Allison said...

Way to go you guys! We're proud of you!

~Tara said...

That is so awesome!! I love the title of the post...it's very fitting!! I'm glad you got to have that experience! I freakin' loved your shirts! Your team members sound hilarious! Thanks again for going to the U of U thing with me! It was fun to see ya! Let's do something soon! I miss you already!

Julie Sacks said...

WOW! Reading that makes me want to go running. I really wish I was more of a runner. I just hate the time it takes to get used to running again! If I could go back to my high school days when I could run and not get so tired, I would be running right along side of you! Good Job to the both of you!
P.S. The guy kissing the girls bum, he's weird.

Emily said...

Natalie, that is so awesome that you guys ran that...very impressive. We miss you lots

Total Pageviews