We have been home too long and felt we needed something to plan and some time off work. What better than touring our nations capitol. I have been wanting to make a trip to DC for a long time and figured Londyn was the perfect age for us to go. We were well equipped for our flight over and Londyn did great. Everything in DC is free (or you already paid for it with your tax $$$) so it is a great place to go.
Day 1
First stop- The Capitol. Our friendly senator arranged our tour and sent us a guide book for our trip. We rode the metro all week and stayed right in the city. We did learn a few things about Londyn on our trip- don't give her your pamplets- she will eat them.
The Capitol contains statues from every state- We found a familiar face. Brigham Young.
Inside the capitol rotunda where Langdon finds the severed hand (If you have read the Lost Symbol you know what I am talking about).
E. Plurbis Unum. "Out of Many, One."
Londyn and I in front of Ronald Reagan's statue in Stautatory Hall. Londyn was way too excited about all this! The statue has a layer of the Berlin Wall. Londyn was stoked!
We learned to appreciate the Freedom Statue on the top of the Capitol. And the tunnel underground to keep us out of the heat. It was over 90 and humid the first 3 days.
Londyn is taking the pic. Okay not really. She was alseep and her stroller has many uses including a great tripod. We love our stroller more after this trip- perfect for travel, rain, sun, naps, everything!
The botanical garden. They had a special medicinal plant section- oh fun!
Cool Arch out front. This was by far the prettiest place in DC. We were disappointed with the lawns and the lack of landscaping. They need a little help from the temple ground keepers or the BYU guys.
We walked miles and miles. Cody pushed most the time and I manned the camera :o)
Then we went to the Air and Space Museum. Cody made friends with the Wright brothers.
Londyn was almost as excited as Cody...almost!
Day 2
Supreme Court. Did you know there is a spiral staircase in the Supreme Court?
President Taft. Londyn liked his 'stach! She spat up all over the floor. No worries Allison- I cleaned that one up!
Supreme Court. We had a special lecture in the Hall where the cases take place. There was a movie too. It was actually very interesting.
We look tiny!
Cody looks good in Washington.
Library of Congress
We took a tour, but we learned mostly about the adornments, which was nice, but did you know they have over 750 MILES of bookshelves! We didn't see many of them.
No books- lots of paintings and such...
We rode the Metro everywhere. Londyn was a hit. She made friends of all colors and moods. It is funny how nobody smiles at us but they light up at Londyn. She was totally fussy and grumpy one night and we were desperately trying to keep her happy when she caught the eye of 3 chinese girls right behind us. OMGsh it was night and day difference. They talked to her all the way home. Lifesavers! Londyn has proved that smiles are contagious- I think she was experimenting on everyone in DC.
We visited the Holocaust Museum. It was a very sombering experience but the museum was amazing. I remember learning a lot about the Holocaust and hearing a survivor speak at KM high school when I was in Jr. High. It really makes you think about your leaders in the government, freedom, and accepting others.
Then we went to the National Mall to see the WWII, Korean War, Washington, Lincoln and other Monuments.
Londyn had some carrots- and made a MESS!! She kept smiling at other people and when she would smile all the food would fall out! Honestly she spat up so much we just kept that bib on her for 2 days straight (except to empty the pouch catching all the spit).
Cute Daddy/Daughter pic!
Lincoln is very Large and Incharge!
So fun to be in all these places I have only ever seen on TV. Lincoln didn't talk like in that movie though.
The Night View:
And on the way home we were looking for food but we found something of interest. I am a member of a Pharmacy Association called APhA. We walked past thier building! This proves how much we walked around DC- when you start running into things.
Day 3
Mt. Vernon
It was fun to visit the home of George Washington. We saw exciting places like where his granddaughter was born and her cute little crib, the room he passed away in and his back porch- which had the most amazing view of the Potomac. It was great to have another subject for our photos.. especially such a cute one.

We went on a National Treasure Tour to hear more about the Mansion & Estate and to see this corner stone that Nicholas Cage pointed out in the movie. Londyn was so excited!
The tunnel where the President was kidnapped to- or where they made their own ice in George Washingtons day. 
The Mansion.
The River, and the tree that was in the movie :o)
Day 4
Arlington Cemetary/Old Town Alexandria
We had lots of help planning our trip from friends that have lived and vacationed in DC. We didn't have enough time to see it all but we had to experience King street.

One of my BYU roomates Christy lives in DC with her family. Hal is just 4 days younger than Londyn. Londyn LOVED Hal's toys. Guess we need one of these..
Day 5
Archives, Washington Monument, White House & The Pentagon
We were lucky to be able to have a tour of the Pentagon. They don't tell you much of what they do in there, but it is it's own city. They have their own DMV and post office! And they don't let you even buy food. They were very nice about it and told us the nearest place we were allowed to eat. :o)
They have an amazing memorial for the people who died September 11, 2001.
Obama's crib...
The view of the Jefferson Memorial from the top of the Washington Monument
So this being our first time flying with a baby..we were so lucky! Londyn was amazing. Not only that, we had empty seats next to us and then on the last flight we were upgraded to first class. It isn't possible to have a bad flight in first class!
Londyn was well entertained however, with her Baby Einstien and Sesame Street movies which she LOVES! The flight attendants would stop and google over how cute she was with her headphones and her smiles. We even sat on the runway for almost an hour but she was still a doll!
Is that not the cutest thing you have ever seen?
We had a very memorable trip- our first real family vacation. We hope to have many more and we love making memories with eachother and now our little Mrs Future President..




7 comments:
Glad you're home, when are we going to play?
Love the pic from the top of Arlington Cemetery. That was so close to where we lived...I have a picture of me and my fam in the same place. What a humbling, yet amazing place to see in person.
Holy cow y'all did a lot in a few days! I still have yet to see the holocaust museum. Someday! Wish we could have been there with y'all. It's such an amazing place to see! I love the pic of londyn with the head phones, so cute!
Wow!! What a fun trip!! I'm glad Londyn was great on the flights!! I LOVE the picture of Londyn in her cute flower dress at Mt. Vernon! ADORABLE!! Glad you were able to go on a family vacation!!
AWESOME post-thanks for sharing all the pictures! I can live vicariously since I've never been out there. Nat it was good of you to clean up the spitup-I certainly wouldn't think less of you if you hadn't! You guys look so good in all your pictures. I especially like the one of you onthe pharmacy wall-hot mama! I promise I haven't forgotten about sending you pictures! Miss you guys!!
Natalie I love little Londyn...She looks so precious and like such a good baby and travelor. What a fun trip for you all to make. Thanks for sharing your blog. I'll love getting updates on how you're doing. Hopefully we'll be in Utah sometime soon and can visit.
Whoa, you guys are busy! Glad your first family vacation was a success!
Ok, that IS the cutest thing I have ever seen! I love the headphone photos. What a doll! Glad your trip was so fun - it can be hard to travel with little ones but you guys did a great job!
Post a Comment