Saturday, May 3, 2008

Aunt Pam and her Legacy

So I have posted a lot this week- We have had a lot going on, and here is one more. A few weeks ago Cody, my Dad and I got to go listen to Stephen R. Covey speak. It was great. A certain part stuck out to me because my friend Tara was teaching a lesson on a Legacy and we had talked about it that day. Dr. Covey talked about our Legacy, he asked "How do you want to be remembered?" and "What is your fire within?"

Today, May 3rd is my Aunt Pam's birthday. I am sure a lot of you know that she died of ovarian cancer 2 1/2 years ago- but there is a lot you don't know about her. She has made a great impact on me and the way I live my life. Her birthday is always a special and a hard time for me and my family. She never married or had her own kids, so she wasn't like any other Aunt. Because of her opportunities with the airlines she traveled to almost every state in the US, more than once, and more countries than anyone I know. She loved food and taught us all how to make and enjoy many different dishes.
When I got accepted into BYU she was there and started screaming and jumping. She went to BYU and told me 2 classes I had to take- they were my favorite classes at BYU! When I graduated H.S. everyone joked about how I would go to BYU and get married, etc. But she is the one who opened my eyes to the world of opportunity, that there was more out there than that. She taught me how to drive when I was like 14 at the ocean- I don't know if my parents knew that or not?!? My senior year we went on a cruise and I hung out with my wild aunts, they were almost crazier than my H.S. friends! She was a great example, always having fun and always had a smile on her face and no matter who was fighting with who, Pam was always the one to make peace and lighten it up, which helped in our family. When she was sick I talked to her on the phone while she was in the hospital and the power was out, she wasn't scared or selfish, she had no self-pity, she was interested in me and my life. One night my family was in Washington and I was having some boy problems and we really had a heart to heart about guys and what kind of a boy to marry- And when she met Cody she immediately loved him.
She came to the temple with us on our wedding day. I will never forget her tear filled eyes and bright blue dress. She even wanted to go to Cabo with us on our honeymoon, instead she told us all the good places to go and see while we were there. 5 months after that I talked to her for the last time, and a few days later she passed away. I felt her close when I graduated from BYU and got accepted into pharmacy school and many times since. She has been my motivation through a lot of trials and hardships. I know she is having a party for her birthday today in heaven, I wish we all could be there! Her legacy is like no other!

4 comments:

~Tara said...

Natalie! That was so sweet. I'll admit I have tears in my eyes! Your aunt sounds like a great and amazing person! I know she's SO proud of you and all your accomplishments!! :) I'm glad you enjoyed that Covey Presentation, unlike some of us (Catholics)J/K!!

Allison said...

Thank you so much for sharing that Natalie.

Jonie said...

Natalie,
So, the first time I visit your blog and I am crying. I love your blog.
My grandma died of ovarian cancer as well.
Jonie

Jonie said...

P.S. I tagged you, check my blog for the details
Jonie

Total Pageviews