Sunday, March 27, 2011

Operation Smile 5K- Team Londyn

Last year I wanted to run this 5K so bad but I was prego and only days from having Londyn. So this year we registered early and I even got work off to run the Operation Smile 5K. We are part of a Cleft Lip group here in UT and have been very blessed by our involvement in it. We have been able to ask questions and get advice from people who have cleft babies and we have been able to help others with Londyns story.
Today we were in tears as we heard a mother share her experience with her son who passed away before his 2nd birthday (today actually) and was with them during the run last year. There is rare chromosomal disorders that can accompany a cleft lip/palate and she lost her baby to those disorders this past year. You have to see there family blog, click here and leave some love for his family on his birthday!!
 It was great to talk with her and other parents and we feel an immediate connection to these select children and parents. We have been blessed to help children around the world just by running a race.  There was snow... lots! (we had to walk single file down the hill to the paved trail in the middle of the race)
 There was black ice too.. (ask Kate, she took a hard hit)
 It was 25 degrees and the coldest wind you ever felt in your life.. (Mckenzie sat in the truck with Londyn until it warmed up)
 But it was fun! (Go Team Londyn)
And that's all that matters! We love this little girl and have been SO BLESSED to have her in our lives!!

4 comments:

Allison said...

I love how you guys are so involved in helping others who have or will go through what you have with Londyn through being a part of your local group and by raising funds for Operation Smile! I hope your friend is okay from slipping and will still be able to stay on her training schedule. How cool of Mckenzie to support you by watching Londyn despite how frigid it was out there-a true friend! Wish we had been there to support you guys and the cause by entering the race and running with you, though I'm not sure I would have been tough enough to run in that cold!

Jason and Kristin said...

Holy cow that looks cold! When it gets a little warmer that fun swing that Beck loved is at the PG rec center or whatever its called where the Holy Cow boutique is.

Kristin said...

I love races that support a good cause - and this is the best cause! Do they do Operation Smile races in other states as well? I want to support them too (when I'm not preggers)!

~Tara said...

Too bad I had to work, or else I would have loved to be a part of Team Londyn!! Looks cold, but fun! What a cute girl!! She's so lucky to have you guys as parents!!

Total Pageviews